Monday, January 09, 2006

The Artist's Way Journey

The Artist's Way group has begun! I was tempted to share the mind blowing poem by Mary Oliver called The Journey. It's certainly one of my favorite poems ever. Then there it was, on Kat's web site, propelling us off into this journey together. A group with a common focus, on expanding our creativity. So I will start off my journey with another favorite poem of mine. This one by the lovely Naomi Shihab Nye


Come with Me
A journey can lead
east and west, from
north to south, up, down,
over, under, in between,
and next to.
A journey can last
a minute, an hour, a year,
a month, a lifetime.
A journey might be slow
or fast or both.
A journey might be shining.
One journey could remind you
of another one.
Are you sliding?
Stumbling? Floating?
Maybe it all depends
on your point of view.

I wasn't sure when I was going to be able to do the morning pages. A requirement for the Artist's Way:) I have a feeling it may change each day. With a 2 year old and a 9 month old and their nap, eating, playing schedules to contend with, my "free" time if fleeting. However the time has found itself the last few days. Flowing onto the paper just as my wee ones awake from their slumber and are not ready to get out of bed yet, this morning I wrote as my baby played on the floor and my son slept in. I was interrupted by a diaper change, husband leaving for work and feeding breakfast, but they were completed. After writing them I feel so much lighter, like I'm purging from the inside. I also have been re-evaluating my outside environment. Last night I went through every box in our basement and consolidated, marked for sale or put in bags to give away. I moved my craft stuff into my new found craft room (aka laundry room). I'm feeling a lightness of being today!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a delicious poem!! i love it! thank you for sharing it.

i'm glad things are flowing for you. it's very inspiring to hear about it.

Joy Eliz said...

lovely poem. I agree that morning pages makes me feel lighter too.

Anonymous said...

I totally hear ya about the concern over the morning pages. I have a 5 year old and a 5 month old. It may have to be Night Pages for me, because "Morning Pages" aren't really realistic at this point. We'll do what we can. By the way, I liked the poem too.

Marilyn said...

Boy, you have your hands full...it's inspiring that you're making time for AW. The thing about morning pages (at least for me) is that it seems more important to DO them, than WHEN we do them. :)