Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A bad day...and some good news!

Here are the remains of my day yesterday. I'm happy to say my two kids and I all walked away with only minor bumps and bruises. Amazing, seeing that I was hit at a four way stoplight (lights were out because there was no power) by a work truck that didn't even see the lights because he was behind a semi and plowed into me at full speed. Yikes! The car will more than likely be considered "totaled" since the entire frame is now bent. So I guess we'll be in the market for a new vechicle. The most amazing thing is how it really makes you realize that your life can change in an instant. I feel very grateful for being so lucky. My kids were both strapped into their car seats and made out just fine. Close call!

So, needless to say, until my life gets back to a little more "normal" I may be a bit behind on posting this weeks Book of Dreams technique. This is the last week, so I want to give it my all. Thanks for your patience.

On a happy note, I am excited to say that I will be teaching three ALTERED BOOKS classes at Melba's JustBe Connected gathering October 2007 in Cape Cod. This gathering is going to be a blast and a wonderful way for creative bloggers from all over the world to come together and meet each other in real space, rather than just cyber space. Here is more information on the gathering. There is going to be tons of fun workshops, vendors and lots of time to connect.

What I would love to know from all of you, if you were to take an altered book workshop, what types of topics would you be interested in? What do you want to learn about?
*Travel journal altered book?
*Life event(s) altered book?
These could be interpreted a number of ways.
*Mini altered book? Altered board book?

Maybe I should ask, for those of you that have participated in the Book of Dreams project, what has been your favorite part?

Any other ideas? I'd love to hear them. Thanks so much!!!

13 comments:

Lu said...

oh, boy. Glad you and the family are ok.

Lilli in Vancouver said...

Oh no! Car accidents do certainly put things into perspective for you, don't they? How lucky that you and the kids weren't hurt! Good luck with getting all the annoying car stuff sorted out.

That's great news about your teaching the classes :) It looks like a really fun time

What I've liked so much about BOD (my only altered project so far) has been the lumpy stuff, the embellishments, the process of altering the book into something wonderful........as opposed to the topic. The topic of Dreams in this project is a wonderful one, but for me the attraction has been the little bits and bobs that we've added, and transforming the book

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your accident, I am glad everyone is ok!
Congrats on your classes!

daringtowrite said...

Phew! Altered books are one thing. Altered lives are quite another. Altered vehicles are such a nuisance.

Chares Square Co-op said...

{big hugs} for the accident...glad you're okay!
and a HUGE congrats on the teaching gig! fun!
once i actually GET to the BOD (which i have now fully gesso-d a book in preparation for btw) i will be back atcha w/ my thoughts.
:)

gudrun said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident! :-(
But still greatful it all went well with you and your kids.
Life might just hang in a "thin piece of fiber" sometimes.

So happy to read about you teaching the classes at the gathering next year. Truely wish I could be there.

I have finally made one more page for my BOD.
I'm so enjoying this challenge, and this time was something special for me. ;)

Good luck on getting everything cvar-stuff in place.

Anonymous said...

how scary for all of you! I am glad you are all okay. I just wrote about the conference too - am so excited to be teaching, though I guess it means I won't be taking any classes. The life experiences book sounds especially fun.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you're OK. I live in dread of driving, even though my dread doesn't stop me from getting behind the wheel.

I write http://www.babylune.com a blog for women recovering from childbirth. Would you be interested in a link exchange?

Christi said...

Geez, Kari! I am so glad that you all are okay, but that is really scary looking. I hope that you aren't too sore. (((HUGS)))

I would think for a class, that I would enjoy doing things that I normally don't do which I am thinking means getting really messy!!! :D Smiles!

Maggie Lamarre said...

Praise the Lord you walk out fine.
Get better.
Maggie

serendipity said...

Thank God that you and your children are fine................I have a fear of driving and just seeing your photo made me feel sick .

hugs
joan in italy

Sharon Tomlinson said...

Oh my Kari, the altered car doesn't look good. I'm so happy that you and babies weren't altered too and hope for a speedy recovery. You've gotta be sore at the very least.

Congrats on the classes. If your audiance is new to altered books,then I would say do a version of what we have just done. This was my first altered book and the progression of pockets, layers, images, windows...etc was invaluable as I began to realize that each page gets better and better as you build all or many of the elements into each page. I think a theme would also be good but I'm not sure what. That could depend on what supplies you will provide.
I just wish I could come too. I love this stuff.

Anonymous said...

Kari!
I am behind in my reading! I was horrified to see this! SO glad you and your babies are ok!

I so wish I could go to your classes! How much fun would that be!!! Maybe I can save my pennies!
Hugs