Monday, March 19, 2007

Lets talk about journals.....

I love journals. Love to keep my own (although I never seem to finish one before I begin another), love to read other peoples. I am completely facinated by the concept of a journal. There are some new and very exciting books being published right now about journals. First off is the 1000 journals project. I just bought the book and am going to bring it to ArtFest because someguy, the author, is going to be there to sign them!! Love seeing all the excerpts of the journal pages and there's even some stitched pages (like the leaves below). How'd they do that!?! So cool!Also just bought Wide Open: Inspriation and Techniques for Art Journaling on the Edge. This comes with a deck of cards that on one side has a journal page by the author and on the other side a prompt or inspiration for journaling. It also comes with a handy little notebook for carrying around and journaling in. I like that it already has paint and colllage splattered on the pages, reminds me of Sabrina's journal starter book The True and the Questions - one of my favorite journal books of all time. Keeps you from being intimidated by the blank page.Coming in June is Keri Smith's new book Wreck this Journal and she's already launced an amazing interactive site about it. Check it out here!!! Keri is an absolute genius!!

Many of you have asked if I'm going to have a journal at ArtFest, like I did for Silver Bella. Absolutely!! I'm bringing a few, actually. I have no idea what to expect from ArtFest in general, so I'm bringing a little of this and a little of that and hope for the best! Here is my bare bones journal. Same style I did for Silver Bella and that worked perfectly. I just folded sheets of 6x12" double sided scrapbook paper in half and tied ribbon around the middle. Lots of fun colors and the ArtFest 2007 logo on the front. Should have plenty of room for doodling, autographs and bits of this and that:)

P.S. Less than 48 hours until the Spring Fling Tea Party!!! I've got lots of goodies planned and even a craft for us all to do:) The fun begins right here on Wednesday morning. For details about how you can participate, see this post!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the good links.
I love your Artfest Journal!

Mailed a Spring package to you today, so it should be there soon!

Tammy Gilley said...

What a great idea! I'm inspired to do something similar...thanks for this!!

Latharia said...

Just beautiful work! Love the muted colors!

Gypsy Purple said...

This was a great post with very good links and great pics....thanks!!!

longnecklady said...

Whatever will I wear to the party?

xoxo~

Sue

Unknown said...

You are such an inspiration! I just went and saw your past post of the journal you made. It is gorgeous. I went to to the website you listed in the past post (why can't I think of any names - the Bella thing). I signed up for their news letter. I want to make something - I'm seeing all this amazing talent and I just want to absorb it and do it. I need to go to a scrapbooking store and get some stuff, crafting stuff. Thank you for all of the amazing ideas and inspiration!
allie from minneapolis
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

Bonnie said...

Wow, so inspiring and wonderful as usual Kari! I cannot wait for the tea party to begin, so excited to see what you've come up with and to see everyone else and just have fun!!

Anonymous said...

it looks like a great book, and so does the new Keri-book! thanks for the info.

about the leaves... I think they sewed the leawes on fabric, THEN cut them out and glued them to the page!? maybe.

take care!

Emine_Pala_Art_22 said...

Hi

I love your artwork girl... And i can't wait for the teaparty to begin ;)

Have a great day

emine

turningwheelfarm said...

Thanks for the book review. I actually thought about buying that last night on Amazon but wasn't 100 percent sure. It looks great though so I may get it! And I also visited Keri's new site which is so fun and inspiring. I like the part someone wrote about putting your journal down in the grass in a park and jumping on it. :)