Saturday, October 25, 2008

13 Days of Halloween: 7 {holiday library}

A few of my favorite Halloween idea books are:
Halloween by Martha Stewart
Bethany Lowe's Folk Art Halloween
Halloween by Joanne O'Sullivan and a new book for my collection, Halloween Crafts by Kasey Rogers and Mark Wood (thanks to a sweet gift from Heather at Speckled Egg).
There are soooo many Halloween books out there. Usually at the beginning of the season I check a bunch out from the library to get my creative juices flowing and pick my theme for the year.
I have been building quite a collection of Halloween ideas for the last five or so years. I love buying the seasonal magazines and always look forward to my October issue of Country Living, Martha Stewart Living and Mary Engelbreit Home Companion magazines. If the magazine is not completely dedicated to Halloween, I usually snip the photos that I'm inspired by and have a 3-ring binder full of ideas.
Some of my favorite books are seasonal decorating books, so they include decorating tips and ideas for many holidays and all four seasons. One of my favorites is Celebrating Home by the folks at Seasons of Cannon Falls. I love how they include so many vintage touches and unique ideas.



Where do you look for new ideas and inspiration?

9 comments:

Dr Vartan said...

Just wanted to say thanks for your blog - it always makes me smile!
www.lynnvartan.com

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

I love looking at magazines as well for inspiration...old ones, new ones, they are all awesome! And of course seeing what other bloggers are doing always can spark something. Sometimes its seeing a tree, turning bright gold in the late afternoon sun and having to run home to grab the camera quick to TRY to capture the feelings it evokes. Sonya

Unknown said...

To you! ;-)

I love the magazines as well. Thanks for sharing your favorite books with us. I've already been over to Amazon to check them out.

Ann

snowbear said...

Kari many of those books and magazines look quite familiar!!! :)

I have seen a few at Barnes and Noble i want to investigate further.. i was rushed the last couple of times i was there.. but i did order the Timeless Halloween Collection... I didn't get to see it.. but i have heard such rave reviews... It is suppose to have awesome pictures of collectibles.. 1929 to 49 I believe. It should be here before Halloween.

Saucy said...

I absolutely do the same thing with my magazines! They are all clipped and sorted (if I choose not to save the entire issue) into ring binders. One for every season!

Otherwise, I keep a little camera in my bag and I take photos in shops and save them into folders on my computer... don't tell on me!

Chris said...

Oh, wow, what a great collection. I currently have seven magazines I've been shuffling through for the past couple of months as I've been working on Halloween projects and gifts. It's my favorite time of year and your idea of putting pages in ringed binders when you don't use the whole magazine is brilliant! Thanks!

Chris said...

Oh, as for inspiration, besides the magazines you mentioned, and the annual Somerset Holidays issue, I am loving the site Craftstylish.com, because they have some amazing DIY projects for the holiday!

ashley d! said...

i'm happy to know i'm not the only one who keeps all of the Halloween magazines! i've even been lucky to find old country living halloween mags from years & years ago at thrift stores! a few still in the package!

i think one day i will need a room in the house just for halloween magazines! ha! <3

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

I collect all those Halloween mags too! What wonderful inspiration they are & I find the coolest recipes in them also.