Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Over the top...

Keeping with my kitschy holiday theme, after reading Danielle's post on blowmold decorations (never knew they were called that) and other vintage outdoor decor, I decided to go looking for some of my own. I knew I had seen it around. Once I knew what I was looking for, I found a treasure trove in an older suburb of Minneapolis. Boy were they fun to photograph in their snowy glory the morning after our big storm. Can't wait to go back and see them at night!
I have never owned one of these creatures and never plan to, but there is something to be said for a slew of them in mass quantity and how tacky it looks. It's just plain fun! I cannot imagine how long it took for one person to collect all of those snowmen!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kitschy, yes, but still these pictures make me smile! There seems to be a line between kitschy and tacky/distasteful. A fine line, but a line nonetheless. :)

Anne M.

Ella said...

Whoah that was bright and just what i needed! Great pics! Thanks for the journey back in time...

S and O said...

heehee -- that little snowman in the last picture is laughing like he just stole a candy cane and got away with it:)
xoxo,
Olivia

Sara said...

Awe Christmas! I think there's something about having your whole yard filled with them that makes it ok! Also I love the snowy boarders around the pictures!

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Those snowman look magical in the snow - let me tell you...when it comes to vintage blow molds MORE IS MORE and better!

Andrea Singarella said...

Wow, that's quite the collection. At first glance, I thought they were yours. Then I read through. I have to admit, I was a little surprised that you would have this many yard ornaments! LOL
Fun though!

Pretty Things said...

Christmas isn't Christmas without my family driving all over town trying to find the BIGGEST display of lights and "stuff"! Would love to find this!

Unknown said...

That is really cool. Somehow it reminds me of the Calvin and Hobbes snowmen. In a good way.

snowbear said...

Quite the collection of snowmen! I have only one.. i inherited it so to speak and it resides quietly under my deck. It is faded from the sunlight so i'm not sure if we will ever use him. He is about 4 foot tall.

Thanks for sharing Kari.. I see quite a few of them too as we drive around and check out the Christmas lights in our area.

Alison Gibbs said...

Kari thanks for sharing these. They look fabulous but I wouldn't have the storage space for something like that!!LOL
Alison

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Love all the snowmen! We had these growing up and I really wish we had them now!

Anonymous said...

視頻聊天室 , 視頻聊天室 , 視頻聊天室 , 視頻聊天室 , 視頻聊天室 , 視頻聊天室 , 視頻聊天室 , 視頻聊天室 , 視頻聊天室 , 視頻聊天室