Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Everyday Notions: {Day 1} What's in your box?

Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
~Harold Thurman Whitman

If you're wondering what I'm talking about here, read this post first. I'm really excited about this new venture and am already feeling things starting to flow and move forward. So glad that some of you are interested in joining me on the journey. The more the merrier!



First off, if at all possible get this book~ Foolsgold by Susan Wooldridge. Get it from the library, the book store, wherever...just try to get your hands on it. I bought my copy this morning and am already starting to devour it. I first heard about it on this post from Teesha Moore. Such a strong recommendation, I had to give it a try.



Turns out it fits into the mindset of this challenge perfectly. The first exercise is straight from the book. Make a small collage box each day with ordinary things from your daily life. "There's evidence of hidden treasure within us all and all around us." Use whatever canvas you like, a piece of cardboard, a shoe box or checkbook box, wood or paper. Sing, tape, glue, paint whatever comes to you. Play, loosen up, have fun!!! Let the objects of your daily life speak the language of the heart. Let them come to life as you arrange them in a collage.Today my box is beautiful. I gathered these items at an estate sale this morning. While standing in line waiting to get in the house, I talked with a young couple that had just bought that very home. They told me about the woman that has lived there, her hobbies and her kindness. When I entered the house, I could tell it was filled with creativity. She had much crafty items, all carefully tended. All the trims were labeled with masking tape how many yards were there. She had boxes and boxes of lovely items. I carefully chose the velvet flowers, hand crocheted trims, glittered bird pictured above. I found the tin box in the basement and it seemed perfect to house all the new goodies I had gathered. This afternoon I will dump them out and start playing with the bits and pieces, creating something that depicts what my world is now. Today this is what passed through my hands. Tomorrow it may be mud and feathers. We'll see. For the next week, I will make a collage each day of Everyday Notions. I look forward to seeing what each day brings.


Please join me in this challenge. Post your daily box on your blog, if you like. Please leave a link in the comments so that we can all visit one another and hear each others stories. Welcome to the journey...

22 comments:

Tracie Lyn Huskamp said...

Kari.. THANKS for your inspiration... I had the honor of being in Susan's Poetry class at Artfest. She is an AMAZING PERSON... I can NOT say enough good things about her.

I did a similar exercise in class. NOW.. I will have to try this exercise at home.

Chares Square Co-op said...

What a cool idea...cool challenge. I'll be back to visit :)

Donna Layton said...

This sounds wonderful Kari....a good way to unclutter the mind. I'm going to try to wrap my brain around it. At the moment I'm really dazed and confused. I guess I should try to find that book.

Bonita Rose said...

Looks like a great book, yet another one for my wish list!

Cheryl said...

Love it. I made a blank book today using your challenge as my inspiration. What a wonderful experience. I am so pleased with the results! I listed it in my etsy shop if you want to see what your inspiration helped me create! :) roseyposeyconfections on etsy. Thanks, Kari!

LP Vintage said...

I just ordered the book from my library and looking forward to joining in the challenge.

unknown said...

Love the little glitter bird. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm in! Today I'm off to hunt for some treasures to work with - my Artist's Date with myself! AND I'm making embellished boxes like crazy, so that will be just perfect for this project! Thanks for the challenge . . . .I'll be in touch soon :o) Nina

Amy A said...

What a great challenge, and timely for me. I feel I've lost my creativity altogether, hopefull playing along will help make me realize it's still there.

Michelle Legler said...

Thank you for reminding me that I need to go buy this book!!! :-)

Lita said...

hey girl, long time no see!!! I am with you on this one...you have my fire all sparked up once again!!

Lita said...

seriously, this took me only minutes to do...it was like my heart was leading and all I had to do was follow...
http://twistedsoda13.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Kari....that quote could not have come at a better time for me. I am going to print it up and creat a piece out of it as it says exactly what I need to hear right now. I love the idea of this challenge!

Lilli in Vancouver said...

I love that quote! So true.

I hope you all have fun with this fun exercise! You're so full of wonderful ideas, Kari :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure she is glad that you are the new caretaker of her treasures :)

Carolyn said...

Thanks Kari for a great challenge !
I`ve just done mine . You can see it at carolyn-myalteredart.blogspot.com
I felt it just " flowed out " of me , and didn`t take much effort at all !
I`m off to do some more !!
And i WILL buy the book , when i can get my hands on it !

Anonymous said...

I have been reading and lurking here for ages now - love it! I am curious and interested in the everyday notions and the book...must go have a look. I have just lost both parents in the last three months and really need something to get me motivated and feeling normal again.Hoping this will inspire me some.Your blog always does - thanks!

Garden girl from Message in a bottle blog.

Carolyn said...

Has anyone else done an Everyday Notion yet please ? I would love to have a "peak " at it !
I`ve just put my second one on , if you`d like to have a look !
I`ll leave you a comment !
Thanks !!

Amy A said...

I realized I haven't "formally" introduced myself and how I became aquainted with you. I found you from Bonnie's blog, I'm a lucky girl on her CT. I've now been stalking your blog for awhile and LUV'N it! I've done my "Day 1" exercise but took some creative liberties on the form of my collage. I did a "digital" collage/slide show of my garden. I just woke up one day and felt the NEED to preserve how wonderful it looked.

Ok that's enough babbling. You can see it at www.rubymoonart.blogspot.com
Amy aka RubyMoon

Gypsy Purple said...

I totally love this line of thinking and this is really a great challenge Kari....we can ALL benefit from this....specially this time of the year, to get inspiration and stay focussed and get real for the next six months.....

Anonymous said...

I tried the excercise and what a great feeling it gave me. I didn't worry about technique, rules, materials. I just let myself go. Thank you so much for opening up your blog for us to go through this amazing experience together. I look forward to the next one. Got the book. Wow !!!!!!My blog address to see the excercise is: lisettefloresnieves.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I know...I'm a "day late and a dollar short" but here is my link http://encrepapier.blogspot.com/2007/06/everyday-notions.html#links

Great idea...maybe it will jump start me!!!
xoxo
deborah