Sunday, June 03, 2007

Life is a carnival....

If you've read my blog very long, you clearly know that I love collaborating with other artists. I love doing round robins; where you start a book, then mail to one partner or more and eventally get your book back filled with your work and the work of other artists. I love seeing the work of others in the flesh. It looks so different than pictures on a blog. You can see all the color and texture up close and the touch the bits of this and that. I love being a part of a collaborative experience. The joy of having someone elses art enter my home, I add a piece of my own and then send it off to another destination. Even better are the books that I get in return and display around the house. Love to have them a part of my everyday life.This is really where my art began. I used to do a lot of swaps, round robins and what were called "tip ins". These were pages that people would do a certain size and the recipient would tip them into thier altered book and have a book of several artists work. My art has evolved in many different ways, but I feel collaborating is where I am most comfortable. That being said, I am beginning a new collaborative round robin with my new pals Tammy and Donna. I'm really excited about this!!

We're eaching starting a book with a different theme. I chose to start working on the ledger book I began altering in Pam's class at ArtFest. I haven't done anything with it since I got home, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to dive right in! Before dear Tammy and Donna get upset with me for working so quickly (we decided on this round robin last night!) I must say I've had this theme of a carnival brewing for quite some time in my head. Just wasn't sure how to take off with it. It was even what I had in mind when I began the book in Pam's class. Now that I gave myself the theme and the green light, I was really able to run with it. I used lots of fun stuff here. The piece of fabric on the Birds of a Feather page is vintage from my friend in Germany. The fabric on the last Dream page is from LK Ludwig. I love using my good stuff in collaboratives, whether its in my own book or someone elses. I feel this is the best way to share and pass on the art love. So here's what I have so far. Lot's of different colors and styles here. It's more of an art journal. Just creating and playing around.



24 comments:

Nerissa Alford said...

Kari
Your pages are AMAZING! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm bookmarking this post for future inspiration when I'm in a rut.
Nerissa

Beth Leintz said...

I love all the bright colors and bold images- look forward to seeing more of your round robin books- have fun!

Jocelyn in Wonderland said...

I am loving all of this! In fact I have been working on my 101 things in 1001 days list and being invovled in a collaborative art project is one of my "things" very inspirational! Thanks!

J

Anonymous said...

I love the colors, so bright and vibrant. By the way the piece of paper with the vintage girl that came with your medalion is gracing the front of a book I'm working on. The cover is made with a leaf. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your book!

Anonymous said...

Kari.....Between the three of you it is sure to be stunning! Looks like it already has a great start!

Anonymous said...

Yum...I love coming here and seeing what's new. There's always something! Love love love your giant frosted pink cupcake of a blog. So tasty and delicious. All of your pages are LOVELY.

Vicki Chrisman said...

Kari...beautiful work as always! Love it all!

Lilli in Vancouver said...

This is Great! What a Fantastic rich theme :)

Bonnie said...

Wow Kari, beautiful pages, I adore your carnival theme and the page with the women riding on the merry-go-round as well as the Dream page, all so beautiful. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration. I love to come and visit your blog for the pure eye-candy and inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Kari, Your speed leaves me breathless! That art you finished would have taken a mere mortal at least a week....or more. Lovely, lovely.

Monica said...

WOW that is simply beautiful!
Love the fun images you included :)

Sharon Tomlinson said...

Oh mercy, you just gave yourself the green light last night and so I'm guessing, you didn't sleep. These pages are so wonderful with all the color and images.

Sugar Bear said...

So fun! You really are quite talented.
Karla

Donna Layton said...

Wowee! This is fabulous. So fun and inspiring. I can't wait to get my hands on this book. Gees, you're fast!

Monica said...

It is always good to visit you for all the gorgeous inspirational eye candy! I love the richness of the colors.

KB said...

@yahooJust beautiful Neighbor!
Love the color combo's!
Karibeth

Tammy Gilley said...

Love, love, lovin' these pages! And the cover! Wonderful, wonderful. Now, where do I begin? :)

Holly Loves Art said...

Love this theme... it's one of my favorites. And it is fun, isn't it?... to look back and see how our art has evolved. How we are inspired by other artists, new art supplies, etc.... it all works its way in. Keep up the beautiful work!

Anonymous said...

oh so pretty pages :)

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about seeing the pages in person, they are so different than on the flat computer screen that never does it justice. your pages look so great here I can hardly imagine how they must awesome they must be in person, too cool!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your collaborations! Your images are serious eye candy!!!

Crafty Mama said...

You are definitely an artsy mama! Those pages look amazing! Just love everything! Every time I see these albums I get so inspired... Why are there so little hours in a day?!! Thank you for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Wow, how cool, and what a great idea! Love the carnival idea. I see you used your tag from Artfest, how cool. Still haven't used mine yet... your so full of ideas I can't wait to see more picks when the round robin is done!

Anonymous said...

視頻聊天 , 視頻聊天 , 視頻聊天 , 視頻聊天 , 視頻聊天 , 視頻聊天 , 視頻聊天 , 視頻聊天 , 視頻聊天 , 視頻聊天