Thursday, January 24, 2008

The writing life...

Thanks again for the interest in my book . The initial process of deciding the organization and layout of the book has gone realitively quickly. You see I am the type of person that when I start a project I don't stop thinking about it until it's complete. So I've been working diligently and enjoying sorting through the posts and pictures from this blog and writing the new content that I want to include. It's difficult for me to work on anything else beside the book right now. I find that it puts me in a certain frame of mind and to stay there, that's all I want to do with my few hours of free time each evening. I have been doing some research on self-publishing and also looking to other books for inspiration. Just the other day I came across this delightful book called How to Find Flower Fairies. Both my kids think it's the neatest thing and it got me thinking about how fun it would be to do a pop-up book for this blog. Something where you could really experience the textures and fine details of each piece. It also really got me in the mood for spring and reminded me of the fun swaps I did last year and my infatuation with mushrooms and other woodsy delights. Anyway, here's a little trip into the forest of fairies....










Oh how I yearn for green again. It has been absolutely frigid here. I think I'll make a terrarium garden with the kids:)

19 comments:

Johannah said...

Lots of the art blogs are posting about fairies lately. Spring is in the air, it seems.
I'll share the fairies from my blog with you too:
http://www.wispofwhimsy.ca/search/label/Bottle%20Cap%20Fairies
AND
http://www.wispofwhimsy.ca/2007/11/fairy-castle-lantern.html

Johannah

Lilli in Vancouver said...

What delightful fairy images! Utterly magical, the kind that I would've been addicted to as a child.

I wish I had a bit more of your stick-to-itive-ness! Although I have waves of strong focus when I'm working on a project, I have to step away from it several times, in order to get perspective.

Hope it's going well :)

Bonnie said...

Beautiful book. I don't know if you saw the photos on my blog from the fairy garden we visited whilst on holiday, you would love them! All the best on your writing journey!

Alison Gibbs said...

What a wonderful fairy book.
Sounds like you are getting along really quickly with your book
Alison

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

I LOVE flower fairies, I had the dolls when I was a child and my mum kept the Christmas Fairy as she thought she looked like me.

Good luck with your project, sounds like you have it all under control.

Best Wishes

Victoria

Anonymous said...

My 9 & 10 yr old girls would love this! I am writing a children's book and my girls keep saying "more magical creatures!" Fairies do capture the imagination!! Thanks for sharing.

Merci-Notes said...

Hellooo!
I have to laugh! I just wrote Natalea that I was going to do a garden post, hopefully for tomorrow. Guess what on!!! Terrariums!!! Saw it on The today show and remembered my Demonstration speech in H.S. on building a terrarium!!! I think we are all ready for spring and that wonderful aroma we get from the clean air!!!

Your book will be amazing!!! Just us here in the land of blogs will sell it out, they better publish more for the world who is about to discover you!!!

Big Hugs,
Mary

Unknown said...

I have collected many pop-ups books for my kids but this one is the best I've seen! Have fun getting inspired and creating your book!

Sandy:O)

Miss*Laurence said...

what an interesting pop-up book!
Good that you can concentrate on your work like that, I work in the same way, a non-stop churning of ideas in the back of my mind so that when ot comes to the "making", everything has already been thought of and it all happens naturally and in the right order!

Anonymous said...

Have fun making your book. I just finished making a self published book & it was loads of fun.

Connie from Beverly Hills California said...

Your book is beautiful!! You are very talented!! I loved my visit. Please stop by soon. Connie

Deborah said...

Your book is beautiful,you are very talented.

Shelley said...

Delightful. I saw that book at Sam's Club around Christmas and about bought it. Of course when I went back it was gone. Lovely book.

Faeries are popular, I believe, is because in this harsh world, its nice to believe in magic and beauty. That in a sense makes them real.

I really like your blog.

Chris said...

These images are absolutely gorgeous! And the cover of the book! yummy. so glad I visited--very inspirational.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kari. Your book is going to rock!
Hey, I was just thinking about when we met at the Creative Bazaar. Did you ever post that pic of us that Mary Annn took? I'd love to see it!

Sal said...

Your blog is lovely.I am so glad I found it!Sal;-)

Anonymous said...

The fairy book is neat. I saw another fairy book that had envelopes and letters too. I'm sure your book is going to be delightful when you finish.

corina said...

My little one room is about flower fairies, so I love them too! I am sure it's going to be a great book! Corina

Anonymous said...

Oh I have to look up this book! I started drawing fairies in the eighties...it has been a fun little hobby. I was going to write a book but there has been such a flood of them! LOL! Here is where you can find my fairies...just in case you want to see them....
http://my.execpc.com/~searcher/index2.html