Sunday, February 01, 2009

February thrills...

Happy February! Lots of excitement going on here. We're changing over to pink as the color theme on A Year of Color blog. Can't wait to see all the projects going on. Speaking of projects, my parents bought a new house. They currently live about 5 miles away from me and that could not make me more happy. I am thrilled that they are a part of my daily life and the relationship they have with my kids because of it is such a blessing. So they are moving...but only a few miles further away. We saw their new house on Friday and it is wonderful. I can totally seem them happily living in it, nestled in the woods with wonderful views and parks all around! I was over to their current house last week as the decluttering has begun in earnest. I wanted to take a peek at the boxes that were bound for the thrift store. I found this gorgeous old tin full of beads. I just love the colors on the top and when I put my little vintage bouquet from Ulla on it, I thought it was the perfect color palette! I also hit a few wonderful estate sales yesterday. I spotted this very old looking desk and thought it was cute. I knew that I didn't need another old desk, so I passed on it at first. Then I noticed some paper scrolls sitting on top of it and started to unroll them. They were filled with the most wonderful vintage children's illustrations from the 1920's. Needless to say, I didn't want the desk but they were asking so little for the entire package, I walked away with it all. I got home and it turns out the kids love to use the desk as a little drawing station. This is what it looks like with the top up. You can see where the scrolls attach.
Here is what is on the scrolls from 1929. So cool!








Also found this little 50's globe that I was thrilled with.

Hope your month is off to a great start!

18 comments:

Sarah said...

They are such great finds!

vivian said...

neat old desk. I dont think I've ever seen one like that with the scrolls! lucky you!

Anonymous said...

Kari, That's a Chautauqua board. They were carried around by traveling salesmen in Kentucky, Penn,NY, etc, and sold at the door for "home schooling" in the late 20's. My mother had one as a child, and I found one for her about 10 years ago on Ebay. Aren't they fascinating?

Barbara Bechtel said...

what a great score! i also know about the chautaqua boards as i grew up around there and they are often found at antique stores up there, but at a premium. so cool you got one for a song! ahh, the thrill of the hunt!

Shopgirl said...

I wanted to go, this is a really special find. Hugs, Mary

Lilli in Vancouver said...

What a curious piece of furniture! It's amazing what gets lost in the mists of passing time. Lucky You!

Anonymous said...

what a find!
xo

Anonymous said...

Wow, you scored on that! I love the illustrations - they just don't make stuff like that anymore. Thanks for bringing a smile to my day!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful find! I love that period of illustration too!

Suzanne Urban

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Wow--I would have jumped on that too. I love the illustrations on those scrolls!

Jeanne said...

You always have the greatest luck at estate sales and find the best stuff!
xo
jeanne

Linda Summerfield said...

What an amazingly beautiful treasure! We have had such a dry spell for estate sales in my area.
Linda

Unknown said...

What a find! I would have definitely have bought the desk if I got the drawings, too!

Anonymous said...

Love your finds girl! The globe is fab...I have a collection of vintage tin globes...I don't think I have ever shown it on my blog. I should!
Looking forward to seeing you soon at Art NEst!!YAY!

Stacy/Creativemuse said...

WOW That is such a find! so cute and great condition i love that Carolr...had more info for you soo coool I may just get into blogging sooner than I think with all this owoh going on and such great people visiting blogs!
I'm happy for your blessings keep being grateful and so many more are headed your way!
warmly
Stacy~Creativemuse

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Great finds! I love that globe. Those how to draw pages are terrific too.

Anonymous said...

Those scrolls are absolutely incredible!...Take care, Katie

Erin said...

I love that globe and desk! I found a crappy globe by the side of the road and turned it into a lamp shade (just the northern hemisphere)