Tuesday, October 19, 2010

13 Days of Halloween: 13 {collectibles}

A few years ago on this blog I did a 13 day countdown to Halloween with some fun holiday related posts, one each day up until the big day. I thought it might be fun to challenge myself again and share my 13 favorite things about my favorite holiday, beginning today.
When decorating for Halloween, I always get out my old time "collectible" Halloween stuff out first. Now I mean collectible in a very loose sense of the word. This doesn't mean high price mint condition items. To me they are things that I have found that have a certain vintage charm and I value them, having no idea what the actual "market" is for the items. They are purely for my enjoyment. The cotton spun picks above were a garage sale find this summer and are one of my favorite Halloween finds ever! This is my other prize possession, an old cigar box that was cut to look like a jack-o-lantern and used, who knows how many years ago. This is one item I would love to know its story.I also love to find inexpensive vintage Halloween paper items such as treat bags, paper tableclothes, napkins and plates. I put them in little shadow boxes for display. I also love old magazines, such as this Farmer's Wife publication from the 1920's.Also this pack-o-fun booklet from the 1950's.
I love old whimsical decor, these are from Japan.I think the graphics on these old plates and napkins are fantastic. Finally an old paper serving dish I found last weekend, made in West Germany.
These are a few of my old time Halloween favorites. Do you have a Halloween collection?

4 comments:

iHanna said...

We don't celebrate it much here, but if I see a hoot owl somewhere it makes me happy. Halloween is a great season for collecting owls too!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I don't have a Halloween collection, but after seeing yours I'd sure like to start one! What adorable things you have - thank you so much for sharing!

Dianne said...

What fun finds! I love the whimiscal part of Halloween.

www.pontevedra-3d.com said...

It won't really have effect, I consider like this.