Tuesday, January 03, 2006

SPT #1 {Personal History}

This month's Self Portrait Tuesday challenge is personal history. The first thing that pops into my mind are my journals. I've had many, many of them over the years. They are literally my personal *her*story. After looking through many of them I realized that I didn't have many pictures of myself in them, so I found this one and went with it. I'm pretty much obsessed with journals; writing in them, looking at other peoples, reading about them. I'm completely facinated with the notion of "leaving a mark," sharing ones life story. Here are a few of my favorite books that either are journals or are about journaling:

Leaving a Trace: On Keeping a Journal by Alexandra Johnson (click on title for chapter excerpt)
Journey into Motherhood by Leslie Kirk Campbell
The Creative Journal for Parents by Lucia Capacchione
The Blue Jay's Dance: A Birth Year by Louise Erdrich
A Year in the Life by Sheila Bender
A Trail Through Leaves by Hannah Hinchman
ANY book by Sabrina Ward Harrison
The Journey is the Destination by Dan Eldon

5 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

I could easily imagine myself disappearing without leaving any mark on the world.

Chris said...

I love the mixed media - hmm, I think I need to spice up my journal... Or maybe I have, by blogging. Hmm.

Anonymous said...

i really like this sp!! i know what you mean about journals being your story. and thanks for the tips on the books/journals!!

Lita said...

I love altered journals...show me more!!!

Anonymous said...

i am totally like you.. and i have that same book! yup, i'm obsessed with journals...