Sunday, February 19, 2006

Art and Blogging (Rice Freeman Zachary}


I saw Rice's Journal Skirts in the recent issue of Somerset Studio Magazine. I loved the idea and got online to see more of her wonderful art. She also has a blog Notes from the Voodoo Cafe. Lots of fun altered clothing info. I interviewed her on Art and Blogging.



AM: When did you start blogging?
RFZ: Just recently, like a couple months ago.

AM: What was your motivation?
RFZ: Susan Sorrell told me to.

AM: Who is your audience/readership?
RFZ: I have no idea. I like to think it's people who are interested in artwear. Oh, let's be honest: I like to imagine it's a whole legion of wildly creative people doing fabulously fun art who want to crown me their empress for life and then send me their lottery winnings in appreciation for my scintillating wit and humor.

AM: Do you use your blog as a social network?
RFZ: No. I hadn't ever thought of it that way. I think of it as a way to disseminate information and, maybe, make people laugh.

AM: Do you read other blogs? Which ones?
RFZ: There are some I've been to that are terrific, but I really don't have time to sit at the computer and do anything other than WORK. When I'm here, I'm almost always working. I don't have time to chat or surf or play games or watch movies. Staying in touch with the artists I know is about the extent of my e-mail fun. Well, work is a lot of fun, so I can't really say that!

AM: Is there a down side to blogging?
RFZ: I don't really have time to do it as often as I'd like. I'd like to provide more photos and inspiration to people who might be looking for it, and I just don't have time to do it like I'd like to.

AM: Blogs can be very intimate; do you enjoy showing a different side of yourself?
RFZ: No. I think of it as a chance to be myself and tell people about the artwork and things I think they might find interesting. When I'm writing for someone else, I have to keep my personality out of the written word, so this is a chance for me to be me.

AM: Do you find the computer has distracted you from your art?
RFZ: No. The computer is a tool, not another thing like tv that numbs the brain and takes people away from Real Life. If I used it to waste time, I'd get rid of it or turn it off after the end of the work day (whenever that is). I have a real thing about TIME (as you can see) and the ways people waste time and don't take advantage of the opportunities to do the things they'd love to do. Discipline is a HUGE thing, esp. when you're self-employed, even more so as a free-lance writer who has to meet deadlines with no one there to say, "Hey, isn't it time to quit surfing the net and start working?"

I definitely want to try my hand at making one of these skirts!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i loved rice's skirt as well how did you find out how shedid it and what products and techniques she used.:)