Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I am ready...

This weeks topic for Mixed Media Memoirs is "I am ready to stop avoiding..." Here is what I came up with.


The picture of the woman is from a pregnancy mixed media journal that I kept. That was certainly a time of my life that I took really good care of myself. It seems like then after the kids are born all the focus is on them and I started to do less for myself. I included a little journaling tag where I wrote about taking care of everyone else's needs and making excuses to not get my own "luxury" needs met.

So my avoidance looks something like this: I always feel like I'm too tired to exercise or wonder when would I have time to go to the pool to do laps? My excuse for not sleeping more is that I don't have the option, since Chloe wakes up several times a night still and that interrupts my sleep. I also don't want to go to bed earlier since the evening time is the only ME time I have! I don't eat better, because I feel like it would be too much work. Sad excuse. I also "pamper" myself with tasty, but fattening foods as a pick-me-up. How bad is that!?! Finally, I do feel that I live a spiritual life, but really need to get back into doing the practice...zazen (sitting meditation). I find that the thought of meditating again scares me. Not sure why...

If you'd like to see other MMM projects, check them out here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to the stuff you said about not giving myself enough sleep (but the baby is always waking me up) and not eating properly because it's too hard, then treating myself with junk food. In fact I am doing two of those things now! (It's 2am, and I am snacking on chips...)

I am trying to find my motivation for the eating healthy part too, but it hasn't come yet. Sigh.

Lia (artjunkgrl) said...

I bought myself a choc. hostess cupcake the other day. here here....great post. :)

Caroline said...

Very interesting... don't be hard on yourself... sometimes an excuse is also a reason!

Love the image of the landscape in the head - seems like you have a good place to go if you let yourself.

Otter said...

Lovely
and well said!

Crazy MomCat said...

Just discovered your site through Mama Says Om. Wow! I love your mixed media project. I'm a scrapbooker too, so I thoroughly enjoyed your preview of Basic Grey's collection. AND, Ali Edwards link! YAY! I'll be back

Kara said...

Since the Artist Way began I've come to visit your blog several times. Your MMM piece is so peaceful it makes me feel good to gaze at it. Melba tagged me a few days ago for a little Artist Way play and now I want to tag you because I'd like to learn more from you.

daringtowrite said...

I love the MMM especially the image of the woman.