Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Book of Dreams: Week 6 {Pop-Ups}


This week we are going to try fun and easy POP-UPS for your altered Book of Dreams. I was very excited to use some wonderful vintage postcards I received from Cassondra and this neat card from Sarah Fishburn on this spread.
The first technique uses an image or a picture mounted on cardstock for firmness. A card or postcard is thick enough on its own. You start by folding the image lengthwise to form a crease. Open your book to the page that you want the pop-up layout in. Place the image over the pages, aligning the crease of your fold with the spine of the book. On the book pages, use a pencil to mark the locations of the four corners of the image. Set the image aside. Begin folding the pages by folding the edge of the left side page inward towards the spine, creasing it along the margin of the text of the page. Do the same thing with the page on the right side. Fold both pages in the same direction again so that the edges match the pencil marks on each page. Tape down the folds, so you now have a pocket on each page.To make the image pop out, make flaps on the side by adding a 1 inch wide and 3.5 inches long piece of cardstock taped onto the edge two sides of the image. Put adhesive on the front side of the flaps. Place the flaps into the pockets closest to the spine and adhere them. Decorate the pages however you'd like and there you go! The postcard will pop forward when you open and close the book.

The second technique is making a pop-out mini book on your altered book page. Cut a 8.5" by 8.5" square of cardstock. Lay it on the table in front of you and fold it in half side to side, crease well and unfold. Next fold in half top to bottom, crease well and unfold. Turn the paper over and fold it in half diagonally. Crease well and unfold. Turn the paper over again and lay it out so that when you press in the middle the corners will pop up a bit. Bring the top corner down to meet the bottom corner. Push the two side corners in so they meet in the center. When this is done righ, you'll have a nice little square. Press the whole thing down flat. Adhere to page and put something a little bit heavier on the "cover" to keep the book down. Here I used some metal embellishments I made for last weeks technique. You can do whatever you want to the inside. Here I printed out a quote before I started folding. You could even make multiple books and attach them together to make a "caterpillar" type accorian book. Have fun!
I hope I provided enough instruction with these so that they make sense. Let me know if you have any questions. As always, I can't wait to see your work:)

17 comments:

Lilli in Vancouver said...

What fun! These look great: can't wait to try them. Thanks!

Lu said...

This is going to be a great addition to the book. Excellent, as usual.

Anonymous said...

That'll be interesting to try!

I'm still late with my pages, but Love working with this! I've done some with my own photos and have two posts over at il blogo, please all visit and comment, I'd love to know what you think!

Also see this and this!

Good luck everyone!

harmonyinline said...

I love that quote. "I was trying to daydream..." I couldn't read who said it. This looks way fun.

Sharon Tomlinson said...

Oh I feel inspiration coming on with this. Have been wanting to do this on a birthday card. Now I will learn how. Also, thanks hanna for the links for more inspiration.

Thank you ArtsyMama for all you do. You will never know!

Jeanne said...

Just checking in to see what this week's challenge is....oooh! it looks like fun! Thanks Artsymama

Lilli in Vancouver said...

I've done something metal! Better late than never :)

Birds of a Feather said...

i am loving your blog - such a wealth of info! i'm going to have to try some of these in my projects.

Lene S said...

I can just say...WOW! You have some incredible inspiring ideas... this is just awesome! Love how your BOD looks!

Lene :o)

etre-soi said...

First thank you for telling about the big letters, than thanks again for your help on the zines choice and 3rd even if I'm more than late withe the book of Dreams, I want you to know that I'll be doing it again very soon, I just had to do a pause, because I had so much to do. I'll be doing an exhibition in september and my Book of Dreams will be there ;-) thanks again for doing all this :)

Sharon Tomlinson said...

I've been wondering about you. We are all still here and loving your leadership. I will be working on pop-ups this weekend. How about you?

Lilli in Vancouver said...

Blogger finally let me post a couple more pages. Found a home for my happy cloud :)

Anonymous said...

I have my book and still have not had anytime to get started. I think I will try to work on this after my daughters dance recitial this weekend. Love all the ideas and pages
kim

Jeanne said...

Hi just posted some more BOD pages. Haven't started the Pop-up pages yet because I was working on these.

Sharon Tomlinson said...

I just posted another page that has pockets, layers, images, & metal. Now gonna work on Pop-Ups.

http://allnorahsart.blogspot.com/2006/06/book-of-dreamspockets-layers-images.html

Still having a ball!

Sharon Tomlinson said...

Hey, it's me again. I finished a
Pop-Up page. Check it out. great fun.
Thank you ArtsyMama,

Lilli in Vancouver said...

Got a couple more pages. Fun with beads and an earring :)