Monday, February 26, 2007

Starting something new...

What do you do when you start a new project? How do you begin your brainstorming? What is your creative process like? When I start, I have a theme in mind, then I start getting out all my "stuff" that has anything at all to do with that theme. I may end up using most of it, or I may end up using very little. Getting some initial images in my mind and a color palette really energizes me to get going. Later the project begins to take on a life of its own.

Now that I have all 35 swaps in the mail (wewh!!!) I'm beginning a fun little round robin with sweet Lilia over at Flea Market Studio. I adore her work and can't wait to see how our collaborative project ends up. We decided on a loose vintage Spring theme and are each going to start a book. We will do a few pages in the book, send to the other person and they finish it up and send it back. So we each end up with the book that we began with and have half our work and half the other persons. These are great fun and a nifty way to collaborate:)
So for the spring theme I gathered some of my favorite vintage style Ruby Stella papers and bunch of trims and some fabrics that I've been finding lately. I love them all. I'm sure I'll end up adding lots more papers, buttons, images and other goodies. They are all very different styles, so I'll have to decide which ones I want to use. Having this all in a heap really helps me begin thinking about what I want to create. So this is my little bundle of spring loveliness that will be transformed in the coming weeks into a "Pocket Full of Spring" book to send on its way!

15 comments:

MyMosaicMind said...

Ooooohhh. I love the stash of goodies you've gathered to do your round robin book. Sounds fun. Can't wait to see the final results!

Monica said...

Those fabrics look beautiful, and those trimmings...I'm drooling over here! I'm sure this is going to be an amazing round robin book. You both have an over-amazing style.

Anonymous said...

Love the stash and what an interesting project to work on. By the way I received my swap today. Pictures didn't do it justice. I love it as well as the way you wraped it! Thank you so much :)

Gypsy Purple said...

Wow this looks intereseting...can`t wait to see what the 2 of you are going to do!!!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh Look at all those yummy goodies!! This is going to be fun!

Bonnie said...

Looks amazing Kari!! love all the floral stuff. I can't wait to watch this unfold!

MarilynH said...

Your collection of stuff is very inspiring! Good luck with your creation.
I just figured out that process last week. (der) Don't know why it took me so long to figure that one out! Creating is MUCH easier if every possibility is out in front of me. I put all the goodies in a plastic rubbermaid storage container.

xxxxx said...

What a beautiful, Spring-filled stash of goodies! I'm sure you'll make something wonderful with it.

Anonymous said...

Judging from the array of goodies you have pictured, the book should turn out beautiful. Sounds like a fun project!

Babsarella said...

These colors are SO YUMMY!!! Looking forward to seeing your beautiful pages!

Guinevere said...

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with between you. Seems like a really fun thing to do. Love your choice of papers and stuff.

Jen Kershner said...

I work in a very similar way. Your project sounds so cool. I love both of your style so I hope there will be a show and tell sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

Yum, love that pile of Spring crafty goodness! And to collaborate with Lilia--what a joy! Can't wait to see what you both come up with.

Helle Greer said...

That's gonna be one yummy book.
You both are so Creative.
Can't wait to see it all done.
http://hellegreer.typepad.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh, how pretty everything is on your blog.